How to Prevent Gum Disease with
Proper Oral Hygeine
Your smile is unique to you. Just like the color of your hair, and the shade of your eyes, your smile is easily noticed by others. It can help make a first impression as well as improve your mood and the mood of others around you. Keeping your smile healthy is one way to keep it looking vibrant and beautiful. Unfortunately, gum disease is very common among adults and one of the leading causes of tooth loss. Luckily, preventing gum disease can be relatively simple and can help keep your smile beautiful for a long time.
Gum disease is tricky because it is often asymptomatic and can advance before any problems are detected. When gum disease advances, it can cause irreparable damage to the gum tissue and bone structure. With a few easy steps, you can help keep your smile healthy and identify potential signs of gum disease before they become a big issue.
- Eliminate plaque through proper brushing and flossing. This includes brushing for at least 2 to 3 minutes each time and making sure to include the gum line and tongue. Make sure to floss every evening to remove particles from between the teeth.
- Consider using an antibacterial mouthwash, which can help reduce plaque build-up.
- Eat a well-balanced diet and avoid sugary foods and beverages.
- Avoid smoking and tobacco-use, as they are known to increase risk of gum disease and cancer.
- Maintain preventative dental check-ups, which is the best way to discover the earliest signs of gum disease.
While at home oral hygiene is vital to oral health, regular dental care is one of the most important things you can do to keep your mouth healthy. A professional cleaning will remove plaque and calculus that brushing alone cannot. Additionally, dentists can detect potential oral health problems like gum disease and tooth decay before they require extensive treatment.
If you have any of the following symptoms, you should call your Plantation, FL area dentist to schedule an exam: swollen, bleeding, or tender gums, gums that pull away from teeth, loose / shifting teeth, chronic bad breath.
Back To Gum Disease Home Page
- Periodontal Disease Plantation FL - Dental care tips that can help Plantation, FL area patients prevent periodontal disease
- Preventing Gum Disease Plantation FL - Preventing gum disease in Plantation, FL through proper oral hygiene and dental care
- Eliminate Oral Disease Plantation, FL - Good oral hygiene and treatment can help eliminate gum disease for Plantation, FL area patients
- Gum Disease in Plantation FL - Dentist in Plantation, FL gives patients tips for avoiding gum disease