Oral health conditions and diseases have been linked to other health issues. Respected general dentist Dr. Freddy Vallejo and our dental team at WholeLife Dentistry by Dr. Vallejo in Plantation, FL show a special interest in the general health and wellbeing of patients. We are happy to provide education about gum disease and tooth decay as well other health conditions.
Gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss among adults ages 65 and older. Gum disease can lead to heart disease, diabetes, stroke, cancer, and pregnancy complications. Therefore, it is important to understand the development of gum disease and its symptoms.
The first stage of gum disease is gingivitis. Symptoms of gingivitis include bleeding when brushing or flossing. During the next stage, which is called periodontitis, gums begin separate from the teeth. This allows plaque bacteria to infect the roots, bones, and fibers. It is critical to seek treatment after noticing symptoms of gum disease.
Several factors can increase the risk of gum disease including your habits, diet, and lifestyle. One of the most significant risk factors of gum disease is smoking. The habit can wreak havoc on your oral and overall health. Clenching and grinding your teeth can increase your risk of gum disease. Eating foods low in nutrients can affect your immune system resulting in difficulty fighting off an infection such as gingivitis. Regardless of your habits, diet, or lifestyle our team will provide compassionate dental care.
Tooth decay also can affect the whole body. Drinking sugary beverages and frequent snacking can lead to cavities, tiny holes in the hard surface of the teeth. Symptoms of cavities include toothaches, tooth stains, tooth sensitivity, and pain when biting as well as mild to sharp pain when drinking or eating hot or cold foods or beverages.
The importance of preventive care
The best method of prevention is a good oral hygiene regimen. It is important to brush at least twice a day, floss before bedtime, and maintain dental check-ups at least biannually.
Are you looking for a dental team who is mindful of your overall health and wellbeing? If you are, consider WholeLife Dentistry by Dr. Vallejo. We would be honored to join you on your journey toward a healthier smile. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Vallejo by calling our friendly team at 954-382-0110
Back to Home Page
- General Dentist Plantation FL - Respected general dentist in Plantation, FL explains the connection between oral and overall health
- Cosmetic Dentist Plantation FL - Patients seek a respected cosmetic dentist in Plantation, FL who can restore youthful looking appearances
- Family Dentist Plantation FL - Residents seek a caring family dentist in Plantation, FL who provides excellent preventive care
- Dentist Near Plantation, FL - Patients in Plantation, FL ask, "Which dentist near me offers orthodontics and Invisalign?"
- 33324 Dentist - Dentist in Plantation, FL 33324 understands link between physical and dental health
- Dentist in Plantation, FL - Dentist in Plantation, FL offers comprehensive array of dental care and orthodontics
- Dentistry Services in Plantation, FL - Dentistry services in Plantation, FL, focus on prevention